Saturday, December 11, 2010

An Azalea or an Owen?

To many of our friends and families' dismay, we are going to wait to find out if we are having a girl or a boy. I just think it is the best surprise! We both don't have a preference for a boy or a girl at all. In fact, I go back and forth with every cute kid I see. J Although I don't know what I am going to be having, many people (especially strangers) seem to be quite certain what I am going to have. I have been stopped by many strangers who ask me what I am having, then stare at my belly for a few seconds, then tell me with confidence that I am having a boy and walk away. 100% of those predictions have been for a boy.

At the last ultrasound I told the ultrasound technician at the beginning of our visit that we are not finding out what we are having. I've heard enough stories of ultrasound techs accidently telling the parents what they are having that I start every ultrasound with the "we aren't finding out" disclaimer. After the ultrasound though, Joey and I got in the car and I said, did you hear him say "she"? And he said no, I clearly heard him say "he". So since we both heard something different I guess those are our subconscious predictions. J

Although we don't know the sex yet, we do have our names picked out. If it is a boy we are going to name him Owen Anthony, and if it is a girl her name will be Azalea Eve. When we tell people what we are going to name the baby everyone wants to know how we chose the name, or why. No real reason for the names, we just both liked them.

The first (and actually only) time I heard the name Azalea was one day when I was studying at Starbucks. I had my headphones on and was giving off a pretty antisocial vibe I am sure. But that didn't stop the cutest little girl from climbing up in the chair next to me and talking to me. So I said, hi—what's your name? And she said Azalea. Which I thought was cute. And then her mom started walking over and she said, that's my mom, her name is Azalea… And her mom laughed and looked at me and shook her head. She said Azalea, let's go, I think she is trying to read. So the little girl leaned over to give me a kiss goodbye. Having just met her I didn't feel comfortable giving her a kiss…J So I looked at the mom with a "what do I do here?" kind of look. The mom said, Azalea what did I say about kissing strangers? So she blew me a kiss goodbye instead. J Since then I have thought the name Azalea was sweet, and Joey likes it too. So if we have a girl that will be her name. Little did that little girl know what an influence she would have…

Joey found the name Owen. When we first found out we were pregnant we went online and looked at baby names. Joey saw the name Owen, and we both really liked it. So that is how we got our boy name. J

I'm very excited to find out what we will name our little baby. Less than three months now until we get to find out!!

1 comment:

  1. Karen I love the way you write...so funny. I can't wait to find out what you are having! My vote is a boy :).

    ReplyDelete