Thursday, September 13, 2012

$50 DIY Bathroom Update

I love projects, and I also love Pinterest.  But I didn't love my guest bathroom.  SO my first bit of inspiration came when I saw on Pinterest that I could paint Formica.  We had a yellow/brown fake marble counter top (see pictures below).  Hard to do much with paint colors and that--so I had originally painted the bathroom a gold color to try to go with the countertop.  I didn't really like it.  So then when I realized I could paint the Formica, my possibilities were endless! I saw a picture of a bathroom with white wainscoting and a bright aqua paint--and I was inspired.  We already had leftover wainscoting from Owen's room, so really the only cost for the update would be the paint for the countertop ($20) and paint for the bathroom (which ended up being the cost of two quarts of paint cause I NEVER get a paint color right the first time).  :)  I did all the measurements and jig-sawing myself.  It wasn't easy going around the toilet plumbing, light fixtures and medicine cabinet--but it looks pretty good! I'm still on the search for the perfect finishing touches--something above the toilet, fun towels, etc.  But overall I'm really happy with the update!

The original bathroom.  White paint, brown cabinet.  Gold and Brown Marble Counter.



A couple months ago I painted the walls gold to match the counter, and the cabinet was painted white. 




The "before" countertop
The "After" counter using Rustoleum Countertop paint.  It actually washes up nicely and looks pretty decent.  I have tons of paint leftover...hmm...
Paint done before the wainscoting.  You can see the slight change in paint color.  Just a little darker of a blue made a big difference to me.  Enough of a difference to repaint the whole thing!  :) 

My "mostly final" project.  A few more accessories and a trim piece on top of the wainscoting, and it will be good to go!  It is so much happier to look down the hallway at this bathroom!









2 comments:

  1. AMAZING can you decorate my house when we buy one??? lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your bathroom is amazing! Nice work!! -Mary

    ReplyDelete