Monday, March 18, 2013

A New Pope!

I love that our new Pope took the name Francis!  It reminds me of my trip with my mom three years ago to Assisi.  Assisi was a highlight of our ten days in Italy.  We were so impressed by the church there and loved getting coffee on the bluff overlooking the valley.  My favorite church of all the churches we saw--and when you travel with my mom you see a LOT of churches!  So that is saying a lot.  

I've always loved the prayer of St Francis below.  It is something that continues to challenge me for my own life.  I pray that with our new Pope taking the name Francis that this prayer is a central theme to how he will lead the Catholic Church.  :)

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace,
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
Where there is injury, pardon;
Where there is doubt, faith;
Where there is despair, hope;
Where there is darkness, light;
Where there is sadness, joy.

O Divine Master,
grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled, as to console;
to be understood, as to understand;
to be loved, as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive.
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
and it is in dying that we are born to Eternal Life.

Amen.






1 comment: