Sunday, December 30, 2012

Book Nook

I've been wanting to create a space for our books in the corner of our playroom for a while.  After looking through a lot of pictures on Pinterest, I decided to give the "rain gutter" book shelves a try.  I liked the way they displayed the front of the books, which are always so adorable with kids books.  

Of course what I set out to have be a couple hour project always turns into more.  Especially if I try to do it without Joey's helpBut I bought the 10 foot rain gutters and all the equipment I thought I needed and brought it home to get started.  I cut the rain gutters in half all by myself with the jigsaw, predrilled holes, used molly bolts when I didn't have a stud, and got them up.  It took about a day instead of a couple hours, but that's the way it goes.  I could do them much faster if I did them again, but there was a lot more figuring out to do than it seemed...which is really the story of every DIY project I do.  :)

I got the books on the shelves and was feeling very proud for doing it all by myself.  Then Owen came in and wanted a book from the third shelf, and pretty much climbed the first two to get it.  My molly bolts were prepared to take the weight of the little board books, not the one and a half year old, and he tore the first two shelves off the wall.  

This is where having a handy husband comes in.  With Joey's help we got longer screws, we used a stud finder, and we got more support pieces.  Hopefully Owen won't be trying to climb and pull on them, but when/if he does, these should be ready for him.

Half way done!

I decided to cut out some words to put up in the playroom out of all the extra after-Christmas-cardboard


I cut out "art", "read", and also "play".  Kyrstin has the word "play" in her playroom and I think it is so cute!  So I stole her idea.  :)  Eventually they will all be wrapped in yarn, but I have found that the yarn wrapping takes hours and after about an hour and a half I'm half way done with the P for play ;)

It's a slow process, but I love the textured look of the yarn


So until I get to the "read" sign with the yarn I just painted it red.  My completed Book Nook!  Owen really is more attracted to ALL the different books now that he can see the covers. 
 

1 comment: