Friday, March 18, 2016

Butcher Block Rehab


I had the great idea to sand my butcher block counter the other day during nap time.  Because taking a nap myself, or just relaxing would make too much sense.  Dang you Pinterest!  I of course read and believed that it is super easy to re do butcher block counter tops and just takes a few passes with the sander, rub some oil on it, and then you are done.  Well, an hour of sanding later, 4 different levels of sand paper grit, with my entire body vibrating from holding the sander that long and my ears buzzing from an hour of that sound, I was able to finish the sanding.  The entire kitchen had a layer of dust on it and the floors were full of sanded wood.  It is NEVER as easy as it looks.  I will remember that someday.  I've written it down.  Maybe I'll come back and read this before my next nap time makeover.  

At least I'm really happy with how it turned out!  :)


Before: It was really getting dried out and check out that stain I put in the middle :/

I don't know what I was thinking to set a cast iron pot on the butcher block counter to dry??  It drove me crazy as soon as it happened!  I've lived with this for at least a month now, I had to get rid of it!

I was making a huge mess but thankfully I had a great helper who got up from nap early and loves to vacuum.

Almost done--bees wax and mineral oil overnight

All done!  All sanded up and oiled and no more stain in the middle!  It was worth it!  :)
We all love daylight savings time around here...not.  (I haven't done a not joke in a while! Like maybe since 5th grade.  :))  Levi fell asleep in the laundry room at 6 PM after not napping and then getting too tired to go on.  And then surprisingly he didn't want to go to bed at his bedtime.  :/  When Owen saw him sleeping in the laundry room he went and got a blanket and put it over him!  :)
Just superheroing around the house...
Another shot of Joey skiing the other morning.  Those sunrises!

No comments:

Post a Comment